What an adventure we have had! Cooper had his first surgery and overnight hospital stay. One of the big ones to check off of his list (really my list). I must say and I think Cooper's daddy and Papa will agree......he did awesome for a two-year old that doesn't feel very well. Our morning began very early...4 am to be exact. We got up, got ready and headed to the hospital. Check-in was at 5:30am and surgery at 7am. Once we registered everything moved very quickly. We got called back to the pre-surgery area and received our beautiful hospital gown that would have fit Coop, Clayton and a couple of friends. Here is where we met with all of the doctors and nurses. Everyone was super nice! Cooper got dressed and then he got to drink his "goofy juice". It took several minutes for the cocktail to take effect, but it did and we got some good laughs.
The surgery itself only lasted about 25 minutes and then he went to recovery. He was sound asleep when we got in there. This was a completely different experience than Clayton's. Poor Clayton had a hard time waking up and was very hard to control physically and screamed and cried. Cooper wimpered a couple of times and then got content in his Daddy's arms and then moved over with Mommy in the glider. We then took a wheelchair ride to the 2nd floor as I sang "Toot, Toot, Chuga, Chuga, Big Red Car" from the Wiggles.....I know you are humming it right now if you know it. We then settled into the deep sea. Cooper's room was painted like a scene from Nemo (see pic above).
The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. He wrestled around for quite some time due to the IV in his hand and the pulseox attached to his big toe. He finally realized they weren't going anywhere so he gave up trying to situate around them. We had a nice amount of visitors....not too many so we couldn't rest, but just enough to feel loved. Cooper has yet to have a hard time eating and drinking...we are so thankful for that. He ate a plate of green beans last night for dinner and has definitely had his fair share of popsicles. He is lovin' him some Sweet Tea from Sonic and being held by whoever will hold.
The doctor informed us that day 3 and 7 tend to be the hardest so we will see what Thursday and Monday will hold. Clayton never batted an eyelash, but we know they can respond completely different....we've seen that just in the reaction to anethesia. We are so excited to see how he heals and how much better he will feel. He might be a chatterbox after all.....
Thank you for all your prayers.


2 comments:
I was feeding Brooklyn when I first loaded this page the other day, so I just glanced up quickly -- the last picture I thought was Clayton for a split second, then thought "Who is that?" and looked again. I think Cooper is starting to look more like Clayton:)
Love it! So many people at the hospital commented that Cooper looks like me.....not so sure. There are expressions where the boys look exactly alike to me, but then other times everyone looks like their own. Who knows.
Post a Comment